Wednesday, July 18, 2012

So now what do I do?

I kept thinking that I need to blog, but according to the title of this blog I should be done. I finished treatment for my cancer in May. Yep, I'm done. It's over. The fat lady sang. Adios. See ya. Epilogue time? Not enough time has passed for a true epilogue, but maybe a short summary of the events so far. As stated previously I finished treatment in Texas. I rang the bell announcing I was done. Ron and Sally came with me and I hugged my radiation therapists, smiled for the camera, teared up a little, and left the building. We celebrated with the most fabulous dinner-truffle mac n cheese and flaming bananas foster were the definite highlights. I had a follow up visit with the plastic surgeon, but that was it. At MD Anderson they don't tell you that you are free of cancer. They just tell you that you are free to go home. So I went home. Going home was like going to mommy boot camp. I had been a spoiled princess at Sally & Ron's house. At home the kids wanted to eat...all the time. Then they had dirty laundry...everyday. They needed rides to school, lunches packed, dentist appointments, rides to sports, money for everything, and help with homework. Jeez, I had really had it easy just taking care of me. The question remained, what do I do now? I'm not the girl with cancer anymore-which is awesome. Remember the double rainbow video on Youtube? Bear kept saying, "What does it all mean?" I think that cancer was my double rainbow moment and now I have to figure out what it means. Write a book? Volunteer to help kids with cancer? Help others going through treatment? In August I have my first post-cancer visit in Texas. Until then I am going to enjoy my health, my family, and my life.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! live life my friend... see you soon
    hugs!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you.. Continued prayers and love to all..

    ReplyDelete