Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Second Time's A Charm, Or Is It the 3rd?

Alas, here I am again. It has been quite a while since I blogged, but I didn't want to jinx anything. I have been thoroughly cleared by MD Anderson to get a double mastectomy next week. Yes, I was supposed to have surgery a couple of weeks ago, but they found some suspicious spots on my pelvis and spine that needed clearing up. The spots were abnormalities seen on an x-ray that needed two MRI's to rule out metastasis. I am happy to report that it has been ruled out and I am cleared for surgery. I never thought I would be so happy to get lopped and chopped. During one of my MRI's I saw things I hope to never see again. There was a man(at least 80 years old) who seemed to disregard the fact that his gown opened to the back and he was not wearing anything underneath. It was very disconcerting to see him in all his glory.
So I have pre-op this week and then surgery next week...Since I have already had a double mastectomy will this be a quadruple? Weird, but maybe true. I have not heard of many people having two double mastectomies, but I always did like to do things the hard way.
Since this will be a another surgery there will also be more reconstruction options to consider. Some of them need their own post. You would not believe where they will take tissue from to make new boobs. There really isn't any space that they don't consider-stomach(nice it doubles as a tummy tuck), buttocks(bonus, lipo without lipo), inner thighs(again, bonus), but wait...the back. Yes, a lat flap surgery is very common unless they need to place tissue expanders in your back to make the skin in the front. Yes, you read correctly, tissue expanders in the back to make boobs in the front. You know what that means? They give you boobs on your back. As if all of this isn't humiliating enough you get back boobs. I guess tank tops are out for the summer. I really think I would have to draw the line in the sand at that point. Or I would have to move to Alaska and wear sweaters for 6 months.
The plastic surgeon I met with went to Yale and NYU. He is a super smarty pants and I like him, but he's not the one who would have back boobs-gross. So we will have to explore some other options, and I thought losing my hair was bad.

1 comment:

  1. praying for you my friend...
    back boobs? I'm sure there is a method to their madness.... I was going to say, I have plenty of back fat I could dontate...lol!
    love you ... see you in September..
    ~you are beautiful~

    ReplyDelete