Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Anderson 360

First-I would like to thank Don't Worry Be Happy Shirts and all of you who bought t-shirts. It helped make this trip possible.
Referring back to the title Anderson 360, no, not Anderson Cooper, MD Anderson in Texas. I went to Texas last week to get a third opinion about my treatment options. I have had surgery and chemotherapy. The conclusion is usually radiation therapy followed by hormone therapy. That is what has been recommended by my doctors in CA. Normally that would have sounded fine by me, but the pathology did not come back as well as expected after surgery. I had positive lymph nodes and several positive margins throughout the breast tissue. So it was time to have another look see.
Christian's sister lives about 10 minutes away from MD Anderson and has been asking me to come out since my diagnosis. I finally went and it was good. They want to treat my cancer much more aggressively because I am so young. The really nice part about all of this cancer stuff is that everyone keeps telling me how young I am at every office visit.
By treating this cancer aggressively they are suggesting another surgery. I had a simple bilateral mastectomy-they want to give me a modified radical mastectomy. That would possibly be followed by more chemo and then radiation with reconstruction much farther down the line. They came to these conclusions by running a multitude of tests-CT, MRI, ultrasound, blood work up, and X-ray. No part of me has gone untouched. You get used to walking around in scrubs and gowns and I met some really nice people. There was a man from El Paso, Texas who had stage IV prostate cancer, but was just raving about his wife's artistic talents and his sons who are both graduates of Texas A&M.
Sally Kim took good care of me while I was there-waiting at the doctors, cooking great food, and taking great notes during each visit. Christiev came to spend some time in the waiting rooms with us and hang out in Sally Kim's kitchen. My mom held down the homefront-getting the kids to their specified locations, feeding those picky little eaters, and tackling homework.
Now that Christmas is here we are going to enjoy some time together and thank God for all that we have.
Merry Christmas

7 comments:

  1. ...Then I will too. Thank you God for my friend Alyx. love you.

    -jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Holiday,
    I miss you soooooo much. I hope for the best for you. Many things have happened since I changed schools. I got a cat, I have electives, I have class periods...and much more. Havent been to church in forever but I still get those emails from the revolve tour, so i read them. I still take spanish but my teacher goes really slow we are just on the part where we learn about conjugation. Not fun but important. I give you my prayers and a very merry happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a lot had happened since I last read, I am praying for you and your family. I really hope you all have a great Christmas together. I hope all of this comes out for the greater good. I can't wait to see you again. Have a very merry Christmas.
    -Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you a ton Alyx, and for your family. Asking God for wisdom for you and your doctors as you make these big decisions.
    Clinging to the fact that God is in control must be hard but a necessity to survive.
    I admire you honesty, humor, and strength.
    Merrry Christmas and enjoy your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friend, today is your birthday and you've been in my thoughts all day! I miss you and think about you all the time. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and look forward to all the great things the New Year will bring. You are strong and courageous, a truly admirable person, I know your going to come out of this on top! Happy Birthday!!!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alyx , trust in God, try to keep your fath, and enjoy everyday. Ask him for healing, it is yours for the asking. We are all praying for you here in Augusta, some of us even know your pain. Thinking of you!
    GODS Speed !
    Laura D Wiggins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyx, I love you, You are always in my thoughts. I am praying for you. God Bless you and your family. I know God Will answer our prayers. Judy

    ReplyDelete