Saturday, March 31, 2012

Tribal Woman Warrior meets Han Solo who returns to the Vampire Lounge

Last week I returned to the vampire lounge. It was definitely a new experience. Since I had a double mastectomy and axillary node dissection I cannot have blood drawn the traditional way. I mentioned this before that my blood is now drawn from my feet-gross. This time I had to submit 4 full vials of blood for a clinical trial. Yes, 4 FULL vials. It took three nurses, two holes in my foot, followed by the geyser in my ankle. Let's just say that I would be happy to never repeat that process.
The good news is that week one of radiation done. I was informed about the process and the long term commitment. I signed on the dotted line excited to get this phase of treatment done. What I didn't expect was how I would look or how the machinery would look. Other institutions tattoo little dots on you to line up the radiation beams, but not MD Anderson. They tattoo other parts of the body, but the breast cancer patients are special.
At my first appointment I laid down on a CT table while three therapists and a doctor stood over me and began to come up with my treatment plan. I have already divulged what a nervous chatty catty I can be, and that I do not like uncomfortable silences when I am the center of attention. As the three therapists stood over me I was able to extract from them their entire life stories. Yes, two had children(one baby 8 months old / the other a boy and a girl ages 10 & 12). The other tech was a student completing his externship. I know where they all went to school and how long they have been married. I did not ask their favorite color, but maybe next time.
While I was chatting away they were drawing all over my torso. They used Sharpie paint pens that sounded like a spray paint can being shook. I have four beautiful colors(blue, coral, black, & hot pink) from my belly button up to my neck. I feel like a tribal warrior who needs a large bone through my nose. I get strange looks on the street, but it is better than having no hair and eyebrows. They also made me a cradle. The cradle is similar to a bean bag, but once it conforms to your body it is freeze dried. Then every time you come in for radiation they get out your cradle and you lie in it. I like to think of it as my little playpen.
Once my drawing was complete I moved on to the next phase of treatment-the actual radiation. I feel a little like Han Solo when he was frozen in carbonite. The room has these huge machines that rotate around you and I wear goggles with a computer image reflected through them. It is a fascinating process filled with electrons and protons.
Next up-clinical trials-who knew I wouldn't mind being a lab rat.

1 comment:

  1. wow ... what a process.. you are amazing. It's like a scene from star wars with all the carbonite cradles, lazering machines, protons and electrodes.... are you glowing ? :)
    your stories continue to amaze me. Bless you.. Love you Joann

    ReplyDelete