Monday, March 12, 2012

Take Back, Do Over, Mulligan

I am happy to report that I had surgery and I am done with slicing and dicing for now. I am going to move on to the next phase of my treatment which will include radiation and a possible clinical trial.
Since I like to do things the hard way(that is what my momma always said) I decided to apply that principle to my surgery too. Yes, the first surgery was canceled due to suspicious spots on my bones. It was rescheduled-but of course I was the .04% who had their lung punctured and surgery had to wait again. Alas, surgery on Feb 20th was a success-well sort of. Dr. Babiera was fabulous, she removed 42 lymph nodes from the left side(35 had cancer) and 27 from the right(only 4 had cancer). I now have widely clean margins-yes I have widely clean margins. Woohoo!!! Dr. Adelman was able to perform a little miracle and put in tissue expanders. I was set to go.
I had a little trouble during recovery. I am kind of a light weight so the drugs for pain make me barf and I was light headed and woozy. Dr. Sohn said I needed to walk around. Easy for him to say, and he kept saying it, every hour. Every time I tried to walk around I collapsed. Now, those of you who know me well know that I had to try and prove to Dr. Sohn how tough I was. Unfortunately, I wasn't that tough. It turns out, it wasn't me though(haha). I had a bleeder-they nicked an artery and I had to go back in for another surgery on Wednesday and a blood transfusion. I always tell my children to do things right the first time and my students too. I guess I forgot to tell the doctor because I had to go back in for what they term a "take back." Yes, they use the term "take back" and if they have to redo that it is called a "take back-do over." The language we learned on the playground is still applicable as an adult. I think they should rename it "oopsy" or something a little more catchy, maybe "eeny meeny miny moe." Needless to say it turned out great.
They took those little devilish cancer cells out of me and are now going to radiate the last stragglers. The song "Closing Time" applies well here.
"Closing time, you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here
So gather up your jackets, move it to the exits
I hope you have found a friend
Closing time
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end, yeah."
Next time I'll tell you about my muppet suit and lymphedema-fabulous stuff

2 comments:

  1. wow... what a story... continuing to keep you in prayer... you amaze me. see you in Sept. {hugs} love you Joann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and your sense of humor, my friend. We will continue to pray for you and your family. It's so conforting to know that God has all those "do-overs" in His plan for it is perfect...It is just for us to get through it all. <3 Stay strong, my hero!!

    ReplyDelete