Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chemo Knocked Me Down

"I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down" by Chumbawamba is the theme for this week. I had chemo on Tuesday and I am just starting to feel human again. I guess I really need to appreciate the good days where the focus of my day does not center around what pill did I take and when can I have another one? The nausea is the worst. I take three anti-nausea pills three times a day after chemo. Can you imagine what is was like before they had all these great medications? The other little known benefit of the medications is how it changes your bodily functions. Needless to say things move at a snails pace internally. Week one down and two good weeks looking ahead. My sister-in-law arrives tomorrow and I am so excited. We are going to make key lime pie, tortilla soup, and guacamole. She is one of the best cooks around so I am looking forward to putting back on the five pounds I lost in the last three weeks. Did you know that I can only eat vegetables that are grilled or peeled? I never thought I would be so desperate to eat a fresh, crunchy arugula and tomato salad.

7 comments:

  1. Key lime pie from an awesome chef sounds delish! Hang in there, you have so many rooting for you. You are in my prayers everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I forgot about this song. Thanks for the blast to the 90's past. Hey when everyone is in HB next week we can cruise down Main St blasting it out the windows of the mini van. We are fifteen years older but we can still rock it like we did in the 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bring on the sister food!! i will arrive bearing milk duds and popcorn. while eating my big sisters good food! Ipromise to peel or grill either..it actually sounds good AND...you will get that crunch taste you long for!! Oh..and the gourmet in me might break open the kraft mac & cheese..made with extra butter. ;-)!! Get ready for some nashville huggin & Lovin!! Can't wait to see you and have a scarf pary (ok..as in scarfing my yummy delicatcies & playing with head scarfs...I am a comic & didn't even know it!)
    LOVE YOU ALYX!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you and your blog. I hope you're having fun with Aunt Sally and the boys. Thinking of you always.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you Alyx and always thinking about you.Suzanne Haller

    ReplyDelete
  6. what awesome times with the yaya sisterhood lol!
    All that food sounds so yummy... I love aruglar salad and grileed veggies. Asparagus my fav.
    Prayers keep coming to ya from the East Coast.
    <3 Joann

    ReplyDelete