Sunday, June 12, 2011

Book Club-The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

I realize that starting tomorrow one of the most vigorous activities I will be doing is reading. I still have plans to take care of my family, workout, and run, but in reality I will have a little more down time. I bought some books for my mom, sister-in-law, and friend and hope you will join me.
Recently, I read the book The Help and I thoroughly enjoyed it. When I was looking through the stacks at B&N I found four books that I really want to read, but this one caught my eye because the author of The Help said "A beautifully written, thought-provoking novel that I'm telling everyone I know to read." Well, that was good enough for me.(But my husband always says not to judge a book by its cover-he told me to add this)
This blog will not be just about my adventures, but it will also be about my relationships. (this is Christian her husband and anytime you see { } I will add notes from here on out. My wife is not a polygamists just to be clear)
I have been so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life(who I tried to name, but really how lucky can a girl get? There are too many to name).
Most of you share my love of literature {ok, a few of you nerds do} so I was thinking that we can read together. I do not want this to be an Oprah's book club where every choice was really depressing-I picked this and I hope it works.
The teacher really never really quits her job so I was thinking that chemotherapy lasts 12 weeks and the book has 28 chapters. We can read 3 chapters a week and be done before chemo ends.
I cannot promise anything other than some conversation and accountability. Let me know if your in and I will begin Monday June 13th at my first chemo appointment. The book is called The Postmistress by Sarah Blake.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Alyx! I will pick up my book today and get started. Know I will be praying!!!! Love you, Miss Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie Coyne
    Hi Mrs.H! You are the best teacher ever! I love your literature. I miss you so much! All of the students are missing you too. No sub can ever replace you.
    We will all be praying for you. Get well soon and God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alyx!
    I'm picking up a copy today! Sounds like fun! Praying for you and let me know if you need more cookies :)
    Love, Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alyx I am going to try and get this book. I loved The Help. All our prayers are with you.Love, All The Haller Girls, Suzanne, Amber,Cassie, Carly and Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alyx,
    It's me, your blog stalker...I'm going to look on ibooks tonight to see if they have this and if they do I'll read along with you...it'll be a new challenge for me to try getting through a book with my little wild men:)
    Love you and miss you, hope your feeling ok from the chemo.
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad we will be reading this. I started it yesterday, but I was a little woozy. I will probably need to reread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to be in your book club. I finally get to be in Mrs. H's class doing a blog on my reading. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Alyx,
    I am going to pick this book up tomorrow and read along with you if that is OK...
    I am so proud of you and admire your positive outlook....you are one in a million!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Alyx!
    I loved The Help, I am downloading Postmistress onto my nook right now! I am going to do the best I can to keep up between my masters classes. We are praying for peace, comfort, and healing everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kimberly Burnette-ArtnakJune 19, 2011 at 4:39 AM

    Hi Alyx,
    I love to read and would love to join you in the reading of this book. You are in my prayers. My Mom had breat cancer three years ago so I have walked the road with her. She is cancer free and doing well. God is a miracle maker.
    Love, Kim Burnette-Artnak

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kim,
    Thank you for your thoughtful post. I would love for you to join us for the bookclub. My family really enjoyed the dinner you brought us the other night, especially the cookies. I am so glad to hear that your mom is now cancer free.
    God Bless,
    Alyx

    ReplyDelete