Monday, June 13, 2011

Kicking Cancer in the Booty

Today I went for my first chemotherapy treatment. Please forgive any and all typos along with grammatical errors-I am loopy from the meds.
I checked in at 9:30am and was told to sit in chair 7. Then I had to move to chair six- a little unfortunate because the woman next to me had fallen asleep with her TV blasting a Spanish infomercial, oh well. The chemo room holds 15 patient chairs wrapped in a U shape. It was fun to watch the other people, hear their very personal habits(bathroom stuff), and just people watch.
I had a fabulous nurse today, Jenny, who enjoyed Christian's humor and said I had the veins of an athlete. I guess it was the miles I ran this morning and the push-ups I did trying to kill the cancer with fitness. That did not work so now we are on to pharmaceuticals.
First they started the IV and then let the saline run for a while. Next I was given six little pills to help with nausea and vomiting. Christian was very appreciative that he would not have to be cleaning any barf. Jenny, nurse fabulous, came out with two huge syringes filled with red meds also known as Adriamycin(which will make my hair fall out in one to two weeks) and Cytoxan. She had to inject the Adriamycin slowly into my IV while the Cytoxan ran through a bag. I guess there is no going back now.
At the end Christian asked her what we owe her? I asked if she had a tip jar? She laughed, but I think she thought it was a great idea.
I will go back in three weeks for another treatment and in between hang out with my family and friends.
I have a CT tomorrow and genetic results on Thursday.
Life is good!
Just in case I have the dreaded diarrhea my lovely mom dropped off wipes and butt paste-What would I do without mom? We all know that would be a tough purchase for my husband.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you Alyx. I was thinking of making you a CD of some really good praise songs. I thought you'd like to listen to some while you're there. Do you have any favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I cannot believe that you are going through this, it blows my mind...your in my thought and prayers EVERYDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you Aunt Alyx and are praying for you to get better soon. Love, Gianna

    ReplyDelete