Thursday, June 2, 2011

To chemo or not to chemo

Since the doctor decided to see me I have many updates. There wasn't a McSteamy or a McDreamy in sight. On the good side there were a few fabulous doctors who had compassion, knowledge, and were willing to answer our inane questions. They were not inane to us, but someone with their level of education was very patient. Apparently I have a mass of considerable(depending on who you speak to) is it considerable size for my body type or for anyone? Well, I am supposed to begin chemotherapy within a couple weeks. I forgot that at the end of the visit with the multitude of instructions to have my four vials of blood-luckily I am married to Mr. Wonderful who reminded me and walked me over.
I paid $90.00 for a three hour consultation today. During that time we asked for our second opinion, not because we didn't like the care, but because we feel that two will be better than one. Does anyone really care about driving 2o miles or an extra $30.00 when you have cancer? That did seem to be a concern today and for future reference it really is not a big deal.
They gave me these lists of what I can and cannot do. I cannot eat fresh fruit or vegetables-then is that why people have cancer? I have to bathe often. Really, who doesn't? Oh, I am sorry if you don't, but I teach junior high and bathing often is a requirement for social success and likeability. I also have to avoid those of you with contagious illnesses and any animal excreta. I guess the children will have to pick up the poop.
I also have to have surgery and reconstructive surgery. For my poor husband it will be like having a hairless cat for a wife. High maintenance and crabby all the time.
Please send your prayers his way as he will be the one picking up the slack that will be our life.
Next week we will update on the multitude of tests: MUGA scan, CT scan, Bone scan, MRI and so on and so on.

2 comments:

  1. I love you dearly my amazing, wonderful friend! You are the light in the lives of so many people, be strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray for patience, strength, comfort and a hopeful spirit for your lovely husband and children.

    ReplyDelete