Friday, June 24, 2011

The Postmistress Discussion 1

I know that it is way past Monday, but here are some of my observations and questions about the first three chapters of The Postmistress.

I like Frankie. I like that we can see the war through her eyes and her passion for a story. It is kind of like a female Band of Brothers feeling. The Blitz is a frightening event that is portrayed so eloquently.
I am not sure what to think of Iris. She is an odd duck, but is she attractive or not? Red hair like a curtain and red lips. She seems to be an enigma of sorts. She thinks that Emma is a runaway at first and she defends the German man to Florence.
Lastly, the doctor's new "little" wife? We shall see.
What do you think?
I am enjoying the book so far...

On a side note I have not recommended this to my junior high students because I have not read it yet. One student wanted to join me, but she called the book the The PISTMISTRESS It has a much different connotation if she is "pist." Spelling always counts!

4 comments:

  1. I like Frankie too, she gives a fascinating portrayal of London during the Blitz. I also like to see the reactions at home after her broadcasts.
    Iris at this point is definitely an odd duck! Her straight forward approach to her job slightly contrasts were her busy-body nature seen on the bus.I definitely don't know what to think about her relationship with Harry Vale, as she seems to think that it's something more than it really is.
    I hope we get to see more of the doctor's wife in later chapters. I found her story interesting.
    Thanks for doing this book club! It's a neat way to keep in touch! You're in my prayers,
    Luv ya!
    Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started the book for realzeez last night. Should be pretty far into it today and ready for discussion two. So far...favorite character in Iris. I love your female Band of Brothers comparison...so clever.

    I don't agree that she has a busy-body nature. I think she appreciates the weight her job carries and believes she is the only woman who will preform it responsibly. On the bus, I felt like she could relate and was just trying to help the new girl in town.

    Not sure if I'm going to enjoy the dr's wife character...I just hope that when she has her epiphany and find this great inner strength that the author does it originally and sincerely.

    Frankie's story line is great i wish the auther would write her story line entirely as her narrative, like with the story of the boy losing his family. That was so well done.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you had to disagree with me about Iris, but I think you are right.
    I really like Frankie's story too. I am up to chapter 8 and I need to slow down to make sure everyone is caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No no, I agree with u your just not used to that. Iris, is an enigma, and an odd duck, kinda like me. I relate to her, which is why to u like Frankie. She is smart, brave and ballsy...just like u my sweet.

    Love you.

    Jamie

    Btw, the movie I was trying to remember was Larry Crowne Julia/Tom.

    ReplyDelete